How to Clean a Clogged Drain
A clogged drain can be rectified in a few hours by taking the proper measures. If you are unable to unclogg your drain yourself, then hiring a drain cleaning contractor to clean your clogged drain is the best option. The following are some steps on how to clean a clogged drain.
Homemade Drain Cleaner
Cleaning a clogged drain depends on the clog. If it is a moderate clogged drain, then you can use a homemade drain cleaner to clean the clogged drain.
- Pour boiling water down the drain. Add salt to help break up the clog. Or,
- Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1/2 cup of vinegar.
- Replace the drain cover loosely.
- Let the concoction set for about three hours before running water.
If grease is causing drain problems then,
- Pour in 1/2 cup of salt and 1/2 cup of baking soda followed by a teakettle of boiling water.
- Allow to sit overnight.
Cleaning with Chemicals and Other Tools
When a homemade solution does not work, then it might require other tools and equipment to clean the clogged drain. Following are the steps to remember while using tools or chemicals:
- Cover the overflow opening in the basin or tub with a wet cloth. If there is no overflow vent and if you are working on one side of the basin, then plug the other basin drain opening with a wet cloth.
- Fill the clogged basin with enough water to cover the head of a plunger. Slide plunger’s cup over drain opening, then rapidly pump plunger up and down. The water pressure builds up enough force to dislodge whatever is blocking the drain. If the clog is not in the fixture’s trap, insert a drain-and-trap auger into the drain extension that goes into the wall, and work the auger into the drainpipe.
- You can also try chemical drain cleaner.
- Call for a professional if the above steps do not clear the clogged drain.
Drain Cleaning Service
Central Sewer Service has been providing drain cleaning service for more than 35 years. We have all the latest equipment to ensure that you get the best service. We are available 24 hours with our well trained and expert professionals. You can trust us for any drain cleaning. Call us at 914-573-4589 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We serve throughout Westchester County, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and New Rochelle, NY.